Friday, July 16, 2010

Masked Reject

From Adriel:

Okay, so I've been working on cards for a masking technique class (which I think is in August). This is one of the cards that didn't make the cut for the class. It's not that it turned out bad or anything, it is just too time-consuming. When my mom and I plan for classes, some of our ideas are great except for the fact that they would take way too long with a larger group of people. Anyway, I thought I would share it because it did come out cute. =)

For the masking on this card, what I did was cut out a few leaves using my Big Shot and the Little Leaves die cut out of computer paper. I adhered these leaves to my card front with temporary adhesive in the desired locations. Then I misted the card front with a shimmer mist mixture that I added a few drops of Old Olive reinker to. I guess you could call that Tinted Shimmer Mist! =) Let it dry for a minute or two and then remove the Little Leaves die cuts. From there I added a stamped sentiment from the Fresh Cuts stamp set, added some little flowers using the Itty Bitty Bits stamp set and Punch Pack and Melon Mambo ink, and finished the little scene with a few cute little butterflies using the Beautiful Wings embosslit die.

Masking Tip: Most of the time with masking, you want to use thin paper such as computer paper, because then your edges on the masked section are more crisp.

Make your own Tinted Shimmer Mist: Mix a small amount of alcohol, a few drops of shimmer paint, and a few drops of ink in the color of your choice in a small spray bottle, such as a travel hairspray bottle. Shake and mist away!

I'm looking forward to the Open House in honor of the new Stampin' Up! catalog at my mom's house this weekend! I'm sure I'll be seeing some of you there and I'll have the baby with me, so you can see her too. =)

Cya! =)

2 comments:

T@PoppyPlacePdx said...

It turned out beautifully, but I get that with a large group it might be a process.

When I teach classes to kids I always have to have a lot more planned than the class time allows just in case I have those kids who rush thru everything and get bored quickly.

I love teaching art to kids.

Have a wonderful weekend, :) T

Anthonette said...

Hi Adriel, this is gorgeous! I haven't done that masking technique.